Chicken Inasal is a famous Visayan chicken barbecue that originated from Bacolod City in the Philippines. Chicken Inasal is marinated chicken basted with achuete or annato oil to create its yellowish color. The chicken pieces are charcoal-grilled to juicy perfection.
If you want to eat chicken inasal but far from Bacolod city, you can still enjoy eating this delicious dish by making your own homemade chicken inasal.
Chicken Inasal -1
1 whole chicken, cut into 6 parts (legs, wings, breasts)
- 1 head garlic, macerated
- 2 tbsps. chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sinamak, (native coconut vinegar)
- 10 pieces calamansi, extract the juice
- 3 stalks tanglad (lemon grass)
- coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Star Margarine
- 1/4 cup atsuete (annatto seeds)
Use large bamboo skewers charcoal for grilling
- In a large bowl, place the garlic, ginger, vinegar, a small amount of sugar, tanglad, calamansi juice, salt, and pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients then add the chicken meat.
- Lightly rub the marinade on the meat.
- Place chicken in the chiller and let sit.
- After 30 minutes, turn the meat and let it sit for another 30 minutes.
It is not ideal to marinate the meat overnight since the acid of the vinegar will completely break down the enzymes of the meat.
- In a saucepan, over low fire, put margarine and annatto seeds.
- For few minutes, continue stirring until the margarine melts and the annatto seeds are well infused and have developed a deep orange color.
- Turn off heat then add a small amount of salt and pepper to taste.
- After marinating the chicken, put several slits on the part near the bone to help with cooking the meat fully.
- Skewer the meat and cook over hot charcoal grill, skin side down, basting it once in a while.
- As much as possible do not turn the meat more than twice since the result will be drier meat.
- Serve while hot together with steamed rice paired with grilled oysters and sinamak or soy sauce with calamansi and siling labuyo (red chili peppers).
Chicken Inasal -2
- 2/3 cup local white vinegar
- 1/2 cup soda (7-up or sprite)
- 1 1/2 tbsps chopped ginger
- 2 tbsps calamansi juice
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp rock salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 whole chicken, cut in half
For the annato oil:
- 3 tbsps. corn oil
- 1/3 cup annato seeds
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsps. local wine vinegar
1. In a bowl, mix vinegar, soda, ginger, calamansi juice, brown sugar, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
2. Add the chicken pieces. Rub marinade into into chicken; let stand for 1 hour at room temperature before refrigerating. Chill overnight.
3. Make the annato oil: Warm oil in a saucepan and add annato seeds. Stir until the seeds release their color and aroma. Pass through a strainer to remove seeds. Return to heat. Add salt, butter, and vinegar; simmer for 2 minutes.
4. When ready, grill and baste marinated chicken with annato oil for at least 20 minutes.